Tuesday, September 30, 2008

[pets] what is the best choice

You could trace my past few months as going from a lady dog [plus owner] to a male dog [plus owner] to a cat [plus owner] and that cat is curled up one metre from my head right now.

Which is the better pet to have or maybe we should even consider a bird or fish?

Dogs are faithful but lick you all over your face when they like you. Cats use you when they are that way inclined but generally keep their distance. Dogs can wee over the floor but cats spray.

Dogs will defend your home and can be almost like a child to you but cats belong to themselves. Dogs bark and can send up an almighty calm splitting cacophany en masse in the neighbourhood but cats wail.

Both can be wonderful pets but it probably comes down to what you see in your pet or what role your pet fulfils.

UPDATE: You really must see this humorous piece by Eurodog - the diaries of a dog and a cat. It puts it nicely into perspective.

10 comments:

  1. Based on my pet owning experience for my kids, where we have had or have chickens, ducks, dogs, rabbits, cats, goldfish and budgies, I can recommend budgies and dogs as value for money and not too time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,
    Have a look at my latest blog entry please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs, hands down, for me. But then I have never had a cat. Maybe I'll be the old cat lady one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have either to tying, but I do prefer dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I like rats. They are like a cross between an indepedant cat and intelligent dog, but as a rodent require little care when you are off.
    Rats are also cuddly , very affectionate and so loyal that if after a year 50% of it's life it is given to someone else, it will often die of heartbreak.

    Show me a more loyal pet, or man for that, more loyal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cats get an unfair press- they are great pets James- I stand up for the rights of cats everywhere- and incidentally if you'd seen mine when I returned from a holiday recently you would not think they were aloof!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely in the cat camp (no surprise there). Ubermouth is right about rats, I had two little darlings called Rancid and Cuddles when I was a student. Rats really do make wonderful pets

    ReplyDelete
  8. 17 years ago, returning from Ireland to my surprise there was a cat residing on what had up til then been 'my' chair. Well, we found an arrangement.

    As for rats: Intelligent animals, especially the ladies. They would not 'be fruitful, and multiply', when there'd be not enough food ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, lots for the cats and rats and some for the dogs. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm one for cats.

    My cat is a delightful little creature and not so independent that I don't feel needed.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.