Tuesday, May 20, 2008

[thought for the day] tuesday evening


My best friend in this country has a particular set against the humble cucumber and I find him supported in this by Samuel Johnson, who said, on the 5th of October, 1773:

A cucumber should be well sliced and dressed with pepper and vinegar and then thrown out as good for nothing.

Well I don't know about that - I'm quite partial to the odd cucumber and a lady friend of mine seems quite partial to them as well.

Clearly this is a debate without resolution.

5 comments:

  1. I quite like cucumbers myself. And how could we get by without kosher dill pickles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have shown us a photo of your lady friend preparing your cucumber the way you like it. I've yet to have a cucumber sandwich.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.