Sunday, April 27, 2008

[playboy] why a rabbit?

If you were to pull off a train robbery, would you only make off with a load of Playboy cushions?

The attack happened in the northern suburbs of Marseille, the regional newspaper La Provence reports. [T]he thieves blocked the track with sleepers, causing the 700m (760-yard) train to screech to a halt, and forced open a number of containers.

Apart from the Playboy cushions, police said it was not clear what else was taken. The train driver was not harmed.

Right. Playboy cushions.

Which brings us to the next question - why a bunny? Why not a kitten or a lamb or a chicken? Wiki doesn't help:

They wore a costume called a bunny suit inspired by the tuxedo-wearing Playboy rabbit mascot, consisting of a corset, bunny ears, a collar, cuffs, and a fluffy cottontail.

Finally I think I have it: Hugh Hefner, the creator of the 'Playboy' magazine, once explained:

'I selected a rabbit as the symbol for the magazine because of the humorous sexual connotation, and because he offered an image that was frisky and playful. I put him in a tuxedo to add the idea of sophistication. there was another editorial consideration, too. since both 'the New Yorker' and 'Esquire' use men as their symbols, I felt the rabbit would be distinctive; and the notion of a rabbit dressed up in formal evening attire struck me as charming, amusing and right.'


The first sketch of the bunny

Added Art Paul, the magazine's first art director:

'If I'd had any idea how important that little rabbit was going to be, I probably would have redrawn him a dozen times to make certain I was doing him justice, and I suppose none of those versions would have turned out as well as the original. as it was, I did one drawing and that was it. I probably spent all of half an hour on it.'

Well, if it's good enough for Gloria Steinem, it must be OK.

Next week we'll look at the time I went undercover to a brewery to expose the shenanigans going on in the brewing industry and how I sampled twenty bordellos to expose the vice and corruption endemic in that industry.

Hands on, primary source reporting always carries more authority, don't you feel?

13 comments:

  1. Are you trying to tell us that you really did go to the brothels and do what most do there? You either pulling our legs or your like them rabbits, randy!
    LOL look at the girls who live with old Hugh, all have space between their ears, one brain cell between them all. Nothing but tarty gold diggers after an old mans money. Why else would they live with him, not his looks which is shallow in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to say I didn't sample those bordellos - it was just a comment on Gloria's "research" methods.

    Airheads perhaps and tarty golddiggers - I couldn't possibly comment, Nunyaa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the whole Playboy Bunny franchise. The tattoos, the branded clothing, the jewelry, bags and accessories.

    It's cheap and trashy and it makes you look cheap and trashy.

    Which, I suppose, is really the whole point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha they leave themselves open for comments, you must of seen the reality tv show in his mansion where the most important thing for them is who sleeps with the old goat what night of the week, and they giggle like 15 year old school girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched about 10 minutes of that show and had to turn it off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is pretty bad. What they do is nothing less than high class prostitution of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, a good story to tell the grandchildren, no?

    I hate to think what there families think of them.

    No father could be proud of that kind of behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One mother went to the mansion and stayed with them she thought it was great, only cos the old goat paid for it all, so she no better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sad to see todays youth turning into such vapid individuals. Even sadder to see that it's their parents that have aided that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jamie Lynn Spears is prime example, look what happened with her sister. Great mum they had.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bordellos? What a quaint word for you to use.
    No comment on the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Playboy is so 70s and is tacksville in my mind. I went to the Playboy Club in Manila with my wife and her colleagues in the mid 80s. It was expensive and boring. I look good as the Easter Bunny.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.