Friday, August 31, 2007

[computer] decisions, decisions

Every time I boot the computer now, I have to press reset but in the past two days, I've had to press it twice each time. Just now, I had to go through a long process to get in.

It's the video card and the Catch 22 is that I'd gladly replace it but it is of such an ancient type that no one sells it any more. So, the alternative is to get a new type but the motherboard won't accept the new type so I need a new computer.

I spoke to my Apple seller friend today and I'm getting a MacBook. We thought long and hard about getting the 15 inch Pro and it's not a case of money - it's more the usage of all the bells and whistles and putting the money where it's needed.

But this is also fraught because apparently there are new components coming in soon and it would be silly to buy the current model as is. Why is nothing straightforward?

The good news is that once this thing is up, I'll be able to zip from site to site and visit everyone rapidly. The downside is that at any moment now, say tomorrow, this current computer will irrevocably break down and therefore there'll be no site until the new components arrive and don't forget this is Russia.

My computer mates cannot believe the pressure the inadequate current components are having to operate under so do not fear if I stop posting - you now know what's happening.

10 comments:

  1. I totally sypathise - nothing techie is straightforward. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing tecchie is ever straightforward- I'm repeating Welshcakes because she is entirely right- so good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get your computer problems sorted ! I can never figure anything technical out.
    Have a lovely weekend :)

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. welcome to the 21st century (but a mac??)

    New look at my diggs, check it out James.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am in exactly the same position re vg and motherboard. i will have to stick with this old one for a while yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sympathies.

    My computer is very lucky it has not been thrown out of the window tonight.

    It's days are very very numbered ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all need Geoff he's a wizz with computers....trouble is hes of walking for the next 3/4 weeks :-(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no a Mac. Are you going to turn into one of those gloating people who thing PC people are just too hopeless for words?
    The speakers on my laptop won't work at all at the moment so I am cursing like crazy. Don't know why and I need the very fat computer manual in Vancouver to see if I have accidentally disabled them.
    Just when one thinks one is doing well technically speaking something is sent to make one humble.
    regards
    jmb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic!

    I have a MacBook and it's the best thing since sliced bread.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to have only Macs, with my first purchase of an LC in the early 1990s. I have had a bunch of Powerbooks and some imacs. The imac only plays cds now. I have to use a beat up pc and my work computer. I would love to have a mac again if I could justify it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.