Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A short trip


James normally has me down as the travelling blogger due to the amount of time I spend travelling with work. Actually this has declined alot in recent months so I don't really deserve this title anymore.

In any event I recently did some travelling in the UK for a change. Despite the predictable weather I had a great time. I visited North Norfolk and drove around a lot taking in all the sight. It is a lovely and peaceful part of the country. This is not altogether surprising as it is near impossible to get to due to a chroniclack of transport infrastructure. From London you could get to Newcastle in about the same amount of time. However, this means that the area is left in a timewarp which is very quaint.


The beaches are magnificent and with global warming and so good sea defences they will no doubt rival the costa del sol within our lifetimes. The local villages are nice and some of the bigger towns are a little sh**e-on-sea, but I liked Sheringham which lies on the north coast. For extra fun you can rent a boat and muck about on the broads ( a network of natural waterways and canals).

The local delicacy is Cromer Crab which is in deed very nice; if not quite comparable in size to say Alaskan Crabs.

Overall it was a lovely and relaxing place to spend a few days away from it all and I can see the attractions for the likes of Bryan Appleyard. So if you have a weekend spare and want to do some UK travelling , head Norfolk Bound.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps I got the wrong end of the stick fro myour report. However, out sea defences are crumbling, The Shoreline Managemment Plan that the government wanted us to adpot involved the abandonment of much of the coast, with only Sheringham and Cromer to be defended and, if the plan went ahead, it would have mean the flowwing of the Broads in inland Norfolk within 50 years.

    The North Eastern part (Happisburgh) is in real danger of disappearing within 10-20 years.

    However, I am pleased you like the area. I love dit there, but moved nearer Norwich for work reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A short trip

    Lovely, take, CUS:

    I visited North Norfolk and drove around a lot taking in all the sight. It is a lovely and peaceful part of the country. This is not altogether surprising as it is near impossible to get to due to a chroniclack of transport infrastructure.

    Noticed you also picked up the Norfolk Blogger whilst you were there and brought him back here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you visited North Norfolk, you should have dropped by to visit me in the neighbouring county of Cambridgeshire.

    I visit the places you mention every year, they are some of my favourite areas in the UK.

    ReplyDelete

Comments need a moniker of your choosing before or after ... no moniker, not posted, sorry.